frequently asked questions

Vision Rehabilitation evaluation is recommended to those that have suffered from A brain injury or concussion and are having Visual or neurological symptoms
Vision Rehabilitation is like physical therapy for the eyes and brain. Through active therapy, we work to improve and rehabilitate the visual functions that have been damaged or affected during the concussion or injury itself.
Glasses help correct site and site is only 20% of the visual system. The remaining 80% of the visual system is how the brain and ice communicate and process information. So glasses would absolutely help someone see clearly and could also be used as Therapeutic lenses but at times glasses are not sufficient to help the patient on a comprehensive level.
In order to be proficient in Vision Rehabilitation and vision therapy, the doctor obtains additional training and certification in order to provide The best care for the patients in the community.
When enrolled in Vision Rehabilitation, the doctor curates a specific therapy plan for that patient. The therapist helps execute the activities that have been planned by the doctor. A vision therapist Works hand-in-hand with the doctor to provide the best therapy possible for that patient.
One of the best parts about the Vision Rehabilitation in therapy programs is that the goals are what the patients and families want. During the evaluation we discuss lifestyle goals and professional goals that the patient and family would like to achieve. That helps us celebrate the successes during therapy and make sure we are working towards achieving those specific goals. They can be anywhere from increase stamina on the computer to reading better in the classroom or improving grades. The goals can be whatever you want them to be.
Vision Rehabilitation and vision therapy is for anyone that has suffered a brain injury or concussion, including stroke or tumor removal. Also, therapy is beneficial for students of any age that are struggling with developmental milestones, learning or sensory processing.
We evaluate the Visual system on a functional level. During the evaluation we look at not only the visual system but also how other sensory systems play a role and how the patient is functioning. That includes balance and touch or also known as proprioception.
The best way to protect your eyes and vision is to eat a colorful diet, where sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV damage and get annual eye exams to ensure your eyes and retina are healthy.
Sensory processing disorder is when an adults or child’s sensory system cannot communicate and organize the information that is Processed and there are different symptoms and behaviors that the patient experiences.
No, all three of these terms have a lot of overlap in terms of diagnosis.
With a patient that has SPD, we use passive and active therapy to help them depending on what they are experiencing. We also call manage with their occupational therapist to help achieve certain goals for the child to be successful at home or in the classroom.
People that experience severe brain injury can have many symptoms including double vision, dizziness, foggy brain, losing place while reading, blurred vision at distance or reading, headaches, issues with balance, memory dysfunction, anxiety and busy areas or light sensitivity.
There is a lot of variability in duration of therapy. It could take anywhere from 6 to 8 months to multiple years depending on the severity of the condition.
The patient would work one on one with the doctor or the therapist and complete the program activities that was thought out by the doctor. These activities are intended to stimulate the visual system but also work on integration with the other sensory  systems.
Normally after rehabilitation is over we follow up with the patient after one, three, six months to ensure that they are holding the gains that we have made in therapy. After that, the patient can continue with their normal day-to-day activities and visit our office annually for their routine evaluation.
No, A mild concussion can create a severe brain injury. There is a lot of variability in The severity of the brain injury and the type of trauma or impact that was experienced.
Nuro motor disorders are normally developmental or acquired through injury/illness. This condition affects movement, posture, fine/gross motor skills, and muscle tone. Because the eye movements are Controlled by fine motor skills, when a patient has neuromotor disorder, likely Vision Rehabilitation is recommended to help the patient gain more control of their visual system to help then be able to read, track and focus on different tasks.